Friday, July 31, 2009

Consumerism makes my feet hurt

Today, I was reminded of the value of a dollar. And how hard it is to earn a lot of dollars. I started working for the Corporation again for the first time in a year. Last year it was going door to door selling encyclopedias, 80 hours a week. Of course, working in retail in a chain store isn't half as bad as making cold calls. But it still makes your back feel like snapping in half and your feet swollen like marshmallows. Old Navy isn't a bad work environment. The workers are friendly, the managers are kind and not snooty (ahem, Abercrombie), and the customers are relatively low maintenance ( mostly middle class moms and babies). Still, nine hours of mindless folding and hanging and rehanging is enough to make you lose a piece of your soul, and not to mention your ability to think intelligent thoughts: ( I felt so...useless, even though I was doing my job perfectly well and helping Gap Inc. make great profits. I literally folded kids clothes, daddy clothes, baby clothes, mommy clothes and teenager clothes from the time I clocked in (3pm) till the time I clocked out (11pm). At one point, I got so sick of consumers that I wanted to scream: STOP SHOPPING, PEOPLE!!!! It really makes me think twice about blowing off $160 at UO. Consumerism is so gross. Ok, too pooped to rant further. Goodnight.

No comments: